Klaus won't give up yet.

Tuesday 12 May 2009 |

It would appear that Vaclav Klaus isn't giving in as easily as Graham Watson and the other anti-democrats would like. Here is a press statement from him from last week (sorry for the poor translation in places):

Press statement by the President of the Czech Republic after the Senate vote on the Lisbon Treaty

I must express my disappointment that after an unprecedented political and media - foreign and domestic - pressure some senators resigned to the views they had publically held until recently, and with them also to their political and civic integrity, and they agreed with the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty. They thus turned their back to the long-term interests of the Czech Republic and what they put above them was the short-term interests of the current political representations and their own.
It is a very sad evidence of another failure of an important part of our political elites which we know so well from various similar moments of our history. Our politicians have always found some cowardly reasons of this sort: We are small, weak, we do not mean anything in the European context, we must conform, despite we do not agree with it. This is something I refuse. We either regained our sovereignty after November 1989, and together with it the responsibility for the fate of our country, or it was all a tragic mistake. This is a very up-to-date reminder in the year of the twentieth anniversary of November 1989.
Now, I will wait if a group of senators, as some of them announced, asks the Constitutional Court for another scrutiny of the Lisbon Treaty in relation to our Constitution. If this takes place, I will not be considering my decision to ratify the Lisbon Treaty or not before the Constitutional Court issues its decision.
My views on this matter are known and clear. I can’t afford to be resolutely against at one moment, and then, because it begins to fit my personal political and career objectives, easily change my opinion.
Let me emphasize that for this moment, the Lisbon Treaty is dead, because it was rejected in a referendum in one of the member states. That is why my deciding about the ratification of this Treaty is not the issue of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment